Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, or so we've been told... but is it still? Lately, with the growing popularity of intermittent fasting, people have been skipping breakfast and pushing their first meal into the later hours of the day. This is all fine and dandy, considering you are sleeping adequately and have generally balanced, healthy hormones.
However, for those struggling with fatigue and adrenal insufficiency, a balanced breakfast first thing in the morning can do worlds for setting us up for better blood sugar and energy balance throughout the day.
Today, we are sharing some simple breakfasts that not only taste delicious, but ones that will also work to nourish up your adrenals and set you on the right track in terms of blood sugar balance and hormonal response throughout the entire day.
8 BREAKFASTS TO NOURISH YOUR ADRENALS WITH:
- Eggs are a complete protein that is nice and easy for the body digest. They are also loaded with B-vitamins, healthy fats, and thyroid loving selenium. Such a great breakfast food!
- Pair with 1/2- 1 cup of your favourite veggies sautéed in grass-fed ghee or coconut oil.
2. Chia Seed Pudding
- Chia pudding is such a creamy treat and is chalked full of anti-inflammatory omega 3's and detoxifying fiber.
- You can make this the the night before for a quick, easy and super healthy breakfast the next morning, here's a recipe.
- Top with berries and healthy sprinkles of your choice (hemp hearts, bee pollen, nuts, seeds, etc).
3. A Smoothie with Balanced Macronutrients (Carbs, Fats + Protein)
- Many tend to make their smoothies too carbohydrate heavy with the addition of fruit, yogurts, and juice. Balancing out the ratio to carbohydrates, fats and protein is important to making a recovery smoothie work for you in all the right ways.
- This recovery smoothie example will get you started on the right track!
4. Coconut Yogurt Parfaits
- Unsweetened coconut yogurt or organic Kefir can be infused with a nice grass fed collagen protein and topped with berries, hemp hearts, and nut butter for a super yummy and satisfying breakfast.
5. A bowl of oatmeal or grain-free "N'oatmeal".
- A bowl of oatmeal can be drizzled with coconut butter and topped with berries, and crunchy toppings to make a balanced, comforting and blood sugar stabilizing breakfast.
- Keep in mind that when it comes to grains, 1/2 a cup cooked = 1 serving. It's easy to go overboard, but blood sugar balance is key-- so please stay mindful.
- If grains give you trouble, give our oat-free, grainless N'oatmeal a try!
6. Cauliflower Scramble
- "Scramble" 1 cup of riced cauliflower with 1 egg in some coconut oil with a splash of tamari or coconut aminos. Throw in a handful of greens at the last minute and top with some hemp hearts!
7. Warm Collagen Infused Latte
- Use 1 cup of tea of your choice and add 2 tbsp collagen protein, 2 tbsp hemp hearts, 1 tsp coconut oil, some vanilla, some sea salt and blend into a meal-like morning beverage. You can use this Adrenal Loving Matcha Latte Recipe for inspiration.